Aisling Keller, Irish Laser Association Training Coordinator.Photo: David Brannigan
We’re delighted to be launching our pre-season virtual training programme geared towards new and regular fleet sailors across the island of Ireland.
We are grateful to CraftInsure.ie whose generous support has made it possible for us to offer this programme at no cost to Irish Laser sailors.
Spaces are limited, so to attend please simply register for your preferred session below:
1. Getting Started in a Laser (Tuesday, April 6th, 7.30pm)
An interactive and fun session featuring junior and adult sailors from across Ireland sharing how to get started individually or starting a Laser fleet in your club plus the pathway to competitive racing both nationally and internationally.
2. Racing Strategy & Tactics with Toby Hudson-Fowler (Thursday, April 8th, 7.30pm)
Dun Laoghaire sailor and top coach, Toby, will deliver a high-tech and engaging training programme on race strategy and tactics applied specifically to Lasers.
3. Laser Fitness with Aisling Keller (Tuesday, April 13th, 7.30pm)
There’s still plenty of time to get that core and those quads in shape for the upcoming season. Aisling will take you through your paces, so come prepared!
4. Gybes and Tacks with Jack Fahy (Thursday, April 15th, 7.30pm)
Learn how to avoid unnecessary capsizes and even go faster coming out of key maneuvers with unique insights from Dun Laoghaire’s Jack Fahy.
5. Preparing for the 4.7 Laser World Championships (Tuesday, April 20th, 7.30pm)
The biggest sailing event of the year is taking place in Dun Laoghaire with (fingers-crossed) hundreds of international competitors. Aisling Keller will share top tips on getting ready.
6. Transitioning to a Full Rig with Johnny Durcan (Thursday, April 22nd, 7.30pm)
Cork’s Johnny Durcan talks to those considering switching to the full rig and takes you through the ins and outs of the switch and what lies ahead.
7. Advanced Laser Sailing with Aisling Keller (Tuesday, April 27th, 7.30pm)
Not for the feint-hearted, Aisling explains what it takes to compete at the highest levels and will answer questions from all sailors looking to compete nationally and internationally.
8. Racing Rules I – The Basics and More with Cxema Pico (Thursday, April 29th, 7.30pm)
World Sailing International Judge and Umpire, Cxema Pico launches a three-part racing rules series with a much-needed refresher after a long winter of individual training. This session will be a good overall refresher on the basic racing rules of sailing.
9. Racing Rules II – Windward & Leeward Marks (Thursday, May 6th, 7.30pm)
All rules are important, but mark roundings represent the biggest opportunity to make gains or lose big. So, know your rights! And wrongs! In this advanced session, Cxema dives into the specific rules regarding approaches to the windward and leeward marks.
10. Racing Rules III – Rules 15, 16, 17, 42 (Thursday, May 13th, 7.30pm)
In this final interactive session, participants will take an opportunity to refine their understanding of some of the most important rules that can help you win or lose at the top end of the fleet.