Message Board

Back To Message Board

Subject: Genuine Laser Parts
From Hullman
27 June 2011 at 20:19:34

Moving on from the previous, potentially litigious post, can we have the discussion on the core subject. Are laser genuine parts value for money given that there appear to be lower cost, better quality alternatives available.

Replies

* You are currently viewing as a guest. You must be a registered member and have logged in to post a new topic or reply to an existing one.

From Brendan
27 June 2011 at 20:40:55

Funnily enough, keeping the supply of parts closed is one way ensuring a sort of long term value for each boat owner. They won't be obsoleted. Alternate suppliers offer illusory value in the short term but we all know what happens when silly fashions grip a class and the arms race sets in - suppliers ride the silly train to the bank- cq book sailing. I am underwhelmed by the quality of some class legal parts - especially spars.

From Hullman
27 June 2011 at 21:00:00

I'm not suggesting for one minute that the class needs to be opened up to altenative suppliers but if there is general dissatisfaction with the quality of genuine Laser branded parts then maybe Laser will realise that they need to lift their game.

From Brendan
27 June 2011 at 21:40:03

Sorry my mistake. One thing I can't understand is why there appears to be no anti corrosion paste on spar rivets/holes.

From Steve
28 June 2011 at 04:25:06

Holt produce good quality non official laser class items, which technically will make the boat outside of class rules I believe as they aren't official parts. For example mast plugs etc. Optiparts are in on the action with replica foils now too, I've yet to try any of them though. Anyone else any experience?