Message Board

Back To Message Board

Subject: Ice in Mast Step
From lasersailor
05 December 2010 at 02:10:08

My laser has been sitting in the dinghy park for the last while with water in the mast step. Just windering could the recent freezing weather cause damage to the mast step? thanks

Replies

* You are currently viewing as a guest. You must be a registered member and have logged in to post a new topic or reply to an existing one.

From Brendan
05 December 2010 at 18:44:38

Never heard of it happening but can see what you're thinking. Considering the hammering they get racing - unlikely. I would put something squishy in the step so the ice can go somewhere - like maybe a piece of pipe insulation with a weight on the end.Leave a bit of line on the weight and you might be able to pull the ice out.

From david
06 December 2010 at 14:13:24

Also most likely to be salt in the water in the step so less likely to freeze assuming you sail on the sea.

From duh
07 December 2010 at 04:02:10

simple solution: put a cover on your boat...

From dave
07 December 2010 at 13:57:27

Unfortunately you have to take your cover off to race and if you race on the water some of might get in to the mast step! :)

From R
07 December 2010 at 15:43:51

this happened to me when i was sailing around christmas last year. what i did was just got some slightly warm water (not boiling!) poured it in and it all melted away, if your worried about the water in your boat after a days sailing, just flip it and empty water out. then you wont have the problem in the first place

From Sage
08 February 2011 at 03:45:39

Possibly